June 28, 2011

25 Years Ago...

1986.
It was the year Halley's comet returned.

Kevin & Katharine got hitched.

Pixar opened its doors.

Lady Gaga and Lindsay Lohan were born. 

Ronald Reagan was "the man we picked (man we picked). He says he has inflation licked ('flation licked)."

It was the year of Hands Across America...

...and Hands Across Bill's U.M.

In sports, something happened to Bill Buckner of the Boston Red Sox that many would rather forget.

At the movies, Mr. Sulu said, "San Francisco. I was born there" in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

And we, the Lemmings, looked like this.

1986 marked our fourth trip to Williamstown for the Octet Reunion Concert, and I'll admit we were feeling pretty cocky. We'd debuted in '83 with our first group arrangement, "Love Potion No. 9" (aka Poesh), which killed and was immediately adopted into the Octet folio. The next year we crushed with brand new Lem-tunes "Cooler In The Shade," "I Won't Stand In Your Way," and "Buzz Buzz Buzz," as well as the Huey Lewis version of "It's Alright." 1985 was the year of "My Girl" and "Under The Boardwalk," as well as the high-degree-of-difficulty "Hodja." So, yeah, we were feeling good, ready to crush and kill again.  I mean look at that picture above! No, really. Look at it.

L-E-M-M-I-N-G-S spells Lemmings (1986)
But, like Icarus and his wax wings (shout out to my brother, Kurt), we flew too close to the sun and singed our tender under-noodles. At least, that's the way I remembered 1986 until I saw the tape I have for you today. My memory was of not quite connecting, being a little tentative, choosing the wrong songs... a bit of a misstep. But what I see is the opposite. "Naturally" and "Mint Julep" are both solid as very small rocks, and "She's Not There" is one of the classic performances in all of Lem-dom. 

Flynt's Stairs ('86)
So, what was I thinking? Clearly I must be leaving something out. And I am. The encore, "Happy Loving Couples." It was, how you say, OUT THERE! A dense, epic mash-up of baroque silliness that left the audience (and us) slightly stunned. Charlie and Chuck gave it their best, God bless 'em, but as Salieri said to Mozart in Amadeus, there were just "too many notes."

That's what must have put the asterisk on that year for me. That and the fact that we actually dared to perform a snippet of "Surfin' Messiah" between songs 2 and 3. ("Hello, Icarus, is your nether region getting crispy yet?") But the other three songs were all direct-hit crowd-pleasers and now seem totally crush-worthy in the forgiving fullness of time.

Enough toting. Here are our 3 songs minus encore from November 1, 1986. (I'll save "Happy Loving Couples" for another day.) The tape is in terrible shape, but that just adds to the "mist of time" quality. Enjoy.

POLL RESULTS: It's not even close!!! Orgo-Man is our favorite side character by a country mile. In fact, he dominates (Hey-o!)
He wins hands down (Wha-hut?)
It's a... (wait for it)... blow out! 
This week, in honor of "Surfin' Messiah," what song snippet or comedy bit should have stayed in the rehearsal room? It's too late to take them back, but you can still show your disapproval by voting.

Cease all audible emissions.

9 comments:

  1. I'm very surprised at the censorship you exercised around the funny-in-rehearsal poll.

    First off, Ande Meine Freude was FINE. No one hits a home run every time at bat, but tell me who was offended? Even I, the strait-laced Catholic, was amused by Surfin' Messiah (and he's mah Babeh!). Meanwhile:
    -Buck Rogers, hello?
    -ANY rendition of Alexis from Texas, which we performed probably eighty-seven times. (Did we even stop when Michael joined the group? God, I hope so...)

    I demand a recount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck Rogers! That can be our first write-in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god the tape is wobbly -- helps disguise my "white man's overbite" shuffle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, if you want to see the encore, "Happy Loving Couples", use the link below. We were rehearsing all the time back in 1986, so we actually sound pretty good on this leviathan. Some bold singing going on here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8sUDnPAs08

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just watched the vid... wow. In the first song, "Naturally"... I didn't recognize the soloist until half-way through the song -- partly because the image was so wobbly and misty and partly because I didn't recognize the voice. I haven't sounded like that or sung that high for a long, long time....yikes.

    and, yes, Lyman, we seem to both be competing for the title of whitest "dance moves." I think it's a toss-up, though it all seems much more charming on you. But I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just watched HLC... Oh god that was painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol. there's a lot going on in that arrangement during that bridge...wow.

    ReplyDelete