July 5, 2011

The Original Originals

Who are these guys and what's with their
"come hither" gesture?

Not the Lemmings
This is the original Williams Octet, the college group that spawned most of the Lemmings. If you're an Octet alum of a certain age, you had the pleasure of knowing and singing with these guys. From left to right: Dudley Tyler '41, Warren Hunke '42, George Lawrence '43, Richard Rising '42, Malcolm MacGruer '43, Pat Verdery '41, Seldon Pitt '41, and Lou Safford '41. They're the O.O. (the Original Octet). But today's blog isn't about them; it's about a particular moment in time and why I suddenly care about it.


April 12, 1941 - seventy years ago this year - the Adams Memorial Theatre opened on the Williams College campus. The Octet was the first group ever to perform in the brand-spanking-new facility. (NB: Spanking was allowed back then; encouraged even.)

Thank you, sir, may I have another?
O.O.-er and baritonus magnificus Malcolm MacGruer writes: "We were dressed in tails, as usual, and sang to an uproarious reception. Almost the entire faculty were present at the AMT that eve. Great publicity for the original Octet!" Warren Hunke even wrote an original song for the occasion. The picture at the top was taken that night.


But that's not the moment I had in mind. (Psych!) The moment comes 45 years later at the 1986 Octet Reunion cabaret when five of the original guys got together and sang Warren's song again. It was Warren, McGurk, Verdery, Lou, and Seldon - all in their mid-to-late 60's - and I have it on tape. They were clearly having a ball. Here's Warren's original done by the originals.  


So why do I like this? I mean, in 1986 this kind of stuff bounced off me like Lawrence Welk. Not my bag, man. I did like the cabarets because the Lemmings would usually preview a new song or sing something with Al Clement (*see "She Almost Saw His Whasker" from June 21.) That was fun. But the rest of it was often lost on my 20-something ears.

Hear no cabaret
So, why now, 25 years later, do I find it charming and "real"? Is it because I'm now closer in age to what those guys were then? Is this what happens when your AARP card comes in the mail? Have I become the Mayor of Cheese Town? WTF? (Or as I like to yell, "Williamstown Theatre Festival?!!")

I think it's probably all that, but it's also that I now see the bond they still had 45 years after college and I recognize it. It's what this blog is all about, really. The brotherhood of men who sing; It's a powerful thing. (By the way, I wrote this paragraph while "extra happy" from 4th of July imbibables. Call it Tote Juice.)

Wayne's namesake, the "Cosmo"
So, while I'm lubed, here's some more old-timey stuff I wish I had appreciated more when I first heard it. Remember we did one of Warren's originals at his tribute concert? This is rare footage from that 1986 cabaret of him doing 2 of his own songs: "For the First Time" and "Early April Weather."  


And okay, I'll admit it. I actually like Lawrence Welk now, too. Have you seen the reruns on PBS? What's happening to me? Williamstown Theatre Festival!!!???

POLL RESULTS: According to your votes, we should have thought twice about doing the comedy bit known as "Art impressions as done by Jimmy Stewart" at the Guggenheim. It was funnier in rehearsal. This week, in honor of the O.O., what's your favorite song we took from the Octet folio?

And a postscript for the non-Williams readers: the Adams Memorial Theatre no longer exists. It was replaced a few years back by the '62 Center for Theatre and Dance. But though the AMT is gone, the melody lingers on...

(sorry, still drunk.)
 

1 comment:

  1. Bizarrely, my daughter has absolutely chained the family to weekend evenings viewing the Lawrence Welk show. I know just enough not to question the origin of this love-affair- she absolutely adores it, claps hands and cries aloud in delight, and we sit there with her, enjoying it much more secretly. I have become a stranger to myself.

    ReplyDelete