July 19, 2011

Guest Lemming: Bill Haaaaahn!

Finally, my weedling has worked! I weedled and weedled 'til my weedler was sore to get the other Lemmings to contribute a guest entry to this blog, and finally one brave soul stepped forward to meet the challenge. It's no coincidence that he's also the Lemming most likely to speak on stage when the need arises. Ten percent less timid than the other woodland creatures: our own Bill "Call Me Will" Hahn. 

The Man in Grey
He was also the first to respond to my call for dusty, hidden old video tapes that might hold long-forgotten Lemmings performances. His wedding video features an array of Lemtunes and that's what he'll be writing about today. On February 10, 1996, Bill "I said call me Will" Hahn and Dorie Hoover were married in what can only be described as a magical ceremony. It was exactly what you'd want from the wedding of a medieval history teacher and a renaissance woman who once gave him a halberd. 

Happy Birthday, medieval style
But before I turn you over to Bill "Oh, I Give Up" Hahn, here are three other titles I considered for today's blog:
* Bilbo Bloggins (too Lord-of-the-Rings-y)
* Fellini Comes Out of the Desert (so inside, it's outside)
* Hahn Gets Hoovered (um... no).

Okay, enough pre-amble. Here's the amble.

Bill writes:
Somewhere along the way, the Lemmings started singing at each other’s weddings. About fourteen seconds later, each other’s weddings were all we sang at anymore. And I could be wrong because memory fails when you can’t find the dang pills, but I think the day I married the lovely and still-unsuspecting Dorie Hoover was the last time we sang a wedding together. That is, before going off to star in “The Wedding Weekend” where not only the make-up but the audio recording made us look and sound like other people. Dreaming, there.

Cast of "The Wedding Weekend." Like looking in a mirror.

A Lemmings wedding video combines the reminiscence and enchantment of recalling a wedding day with the antic lunacy of encountering the Lemmings. The most important day of my life, and certainly one of the most joyous, is a vivid memory - and on a day when pretty much everything was planned by her (you can tell because it was tasteful and came off perfectly), I was able to summon up this one irreplaceable contribution. I brought in the Totes. 

You, to me...

But what you’re seeing here is a wedding VIDEO, and having the new point of view is crazy, simply nuts. I sat there when the Lemmings did their set and they were to my LEFT, dammit; but I’ve seen the video several times now, so I start to “remember” seeing them to my RIGHT; including the part where they’re ganging up to hug the groom! 

Involuntary group hug
Kevin’s edit of the a cappella festivities brings you in on the variety of moments these occasions provide, and it’s an emotional palette I hope, but doubt, you enjoy as much as I do. A couple of highlights before we "roll tape". OK, four:

In the chapel we all stood to hear the benediction song conducted by Waugh, including Lemmings, my family, and several others. The camera is far right shooting diagonally across the front of the group towards the bride and groom (hey, that’s me), but I’m totally blocked by Charl-tees. So when the zoom happens, you see the Singer-Thinger front and center and he is nearly in pain. Charlie’s there in a serious, sacred moment (which I think he hates) and you can see he’s practically bursting at the seams to do something chaotic. He has the face of Harpo Marx when Chico asks him “what choo wanna’ do now, eh?”. The song starts in the nick of time. And as for the so-called real me, I only saw the back of Charlie’s head and assumed he was having a wonderful time.

Don't say it... don't say it... don't say it...
I’m no music critic but I think Vern comes across splendidly on “Worst that Could Happen”. The Lems spread the solos around that day (including the groom - hey, that’s me), and everyone did a terrific job.

The beloved Vern
I actually had two ideas for the wedding, and the other one was I wanted to dance to “Concrete and Clay” with Dorie before the world. The after-hugs are quintessential. First one, to the gorgeous woman (natch) and belatedly the groom (hey, that’s me). Then another, and apres moi les deluge.

Right back at you, guys - after I hug your wives, of course. Now watch the video.


Thanks, William and Dorie. One of the best days ever! And it's a pretty good-looking wedding video, too. I especially love the staged "milling about" at the beginning. And Vern's run on the word "happen" gets me every time.
So, who's next? Who's got a totie story to tell? Don't be shy. Bill has thrown the gauntlet. And he actually OWNS one!
Fisting buddies
POLL RESULTS: It was close, but the favorite Lemmings haircut is the "Cheezer" (another reminder of Vern), followed closely by Coiffure du Schwaneye, Bill's "Man in Grey" look, and Charlie's "fronytail". This week, in an effort to make the poll less "inside", what's your favorite movie musical with singing men? Vote above right, or write-in below.


Then be quiet.




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just warmed the cockles of my tiny heart. I feel all warm inside...like a little, cute, precious, pink, cotton-candy poodle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction on one point: tho attendance was about 50%, I believe my wedding was the last Lemming wedding performance... or does it not count because, well, you know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - and we did Married twice?!!!! And, i can tell exactly what I was thinking there - "wtf am I doing here - I am about to ruin this nice choir moment when i start singing!"

    Remembered none of this which made watching it even better - ehhhhhhhh? what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was pure video excellence. Nice montaging! Loved the Charlie face trying not to cackle it up during the choral bit. Winthy on "Blue Moon?" Come on! Killed it! How many songs did we do? That audience must have been exhausted by us.
    Trying to get my footage together for a future blog, though mine will not be as long as Bill's because (all together now) it never is!

    ReplyDelete